Minocqua Area and Northern Wisconsin
Welcome to the Minocqua Area - Nature's Original Water Park. We call it that because it's located in the middle of Northern Wisconsin's Lake Country. Here there are thousands of lakes, rivers and streams that literally saturate the geography. And vacationers have long been visiting the Minocqua Area to enjoy all this water by boating, swimming, fishing, snowmobiling and more. There's no admission fees and we're open year round!
Mid July, 2014 - Lakeland Area Fishing Report
Cool night time temps have held most of the Lakeland Area Lakes right around the 70 degree mark. This is not our usual summertime weather, but the fish are still cooperating and it’s a great time to be out on the water.
Walleye fishing can be super this time of year if you concentrate on sunrise and sunset times. Walleyes feed heavily during these low light times and can be found on weed edges in shallower lakes in the 12 to 16 foot range. The deeper lakes containing rock bars and points in the 20 to 30 foot zone will also attract them. Using Nightcrawlers and Leeches on a 1/8 ounce jig, along with slip-bobber set ups have been working great. Color can be a big factor on many lakes. Try different color jigs until you find the one that is out producing the rest. Drag the jig across the bottom with small hops, and pauses. With these cooler water temps, a slow presentation is crucial.
US 51, Old Hwy 70 to 3rd Avenue, towns of Minocqua and Woodruff (*updated*)
- Most of the asphalt driveway work is completed. The remaining driveways are scheduled to be paved this week. There are no US 51 traffic impacts associated with this work. Driveway work is expected to be completed within one day at each location.
- Crews completed topsoil placement in areas behind the sidewalks. They plan to complete the seeding, fertilizing, and mulching in those areas this week.
- The surface layer of asphalt is scheduled for placement after Labor Day, when US 51 construction resumes.
- Crews completed gravel placement for the new County J alignment, south of existing County J. They are continuing with the electrical work associated with the new traffic signals. Curb and gutter installation is scheduled for the week of July 21. Asphalt paving is tentatively scheduled for the week of July 28.
- Crews completed grading and gravel placement for Packing Plant Road. Concrete curb and gutter installation is scheduled for the week of July 21. Asphalt paving is tentatively scheduled for the week of July 28.
- Utility (gas, electric, telephone, and cable) relocation work by Wisconsin Public Service, Frontier Communications, and Charter Communications has been completed between Old Hwy 70 and just south of County J. Crews plan to continue utility relocation work in and around Townline Road and County J.